Monday, October 09, 2006

Ack!

I was going to add my thoughts yesterday so the group could have them this evening, but this will have to do, I suppose.

I checked out and read Twilight towards the end of the school year because I had heard such positive things about it and was really eager to read a vampire story. In the end I was sorely disappointed, mostly with the writer of the story.

The opening idea was pretty intriguing. Girl moves to new place, there are strange people at the school, they turn out to be vampires. I liked that the vampires could travel out in the daylight and how the process of becoming one was much more complicated and painful than the more romantic authors tend to make it. The vampires themselves were fairly interesting - and this is where the problem with the romance came in. I don't remember the name of the narrator but I remember being specifically annoyed that she was such a flat person and yet had managed to catch the eye of a centuries old vampire. What about her was Edmund attracted to, exactly? The book never really gave a clear reason.

Also, their romance? More creepy than romantic. I wouldn't be happy to learn that somebody had been sneaking into my room at night to watch me sleep or was following me around at every corner. There are aspects of this that are sweet, but others that are just disturbing. Then the whole blood lust aspect that made it impossible for them to go beyond chaste kisses was an out to try and prolong the romance and make it more mysterious or something. I wanted some actual something there, not a whole bunch of build up and ultimately nothing.

Still, the book managed to hold my attention until the plot that came in towards the end. The vampires chasing after the narrator? That was a lame twist that I didn't find necessary and actually detracted from the story and then the ending with the prom and the whole "should I be a vampire or not" thing. I don't know. I felt that the vampires translated well, adapting to society as it grew and expanded. I would have liked to see more the tension between them and the native peoples expanded more rather than the rogue band that randomly showed up.

Overall the book promised more than it delivered and for that reason I felt cheated at the end.

1 Comments:

At 10/13/2006 10:19 AM, Blogger Degolar said...

I have admit I'm disappointed that no one in the group liked it. It didn't blow me away, but I talked to so many people who recommended it and ran across so many good reviews, I figured it was just me.

Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed review, Gabs. You put into words some of my own half-formed thoughts.

It's nice that you're still with us even though you're half a state away. Don't forget that we're reading the next book because you picked it; I hope you can find a bit of time in your schedule for some recreational reading in the next month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home