Monday, September 11, 2006

What's Your Parasite of Choice?

I'll start by saying I read Peeps a while ago and really liked it. I loved the fact that it was creepy and gross and almost believable. I loved the new and unique take on the vampire mythology. And I thought it had a really good story, but was a bit disappointed with the end.

At first I thought having every other chapter as a short nonfiction essay about a real parasite was kind of strange, but the further I got into it the more it made sense. Nonfiction, real parasites are scarier than anything you can make up, so it made the story all the more plausible. And then the whole idea of vampirism as a type of parasite. Cool. I really liked it.

The only thing I didn't completely get into was the ending. It was a personal story to that point, almost a mystery with Cal trying to figure out what he's become a part of. I know it completed the parasite theme, but it got too broad and unfocused, a bit too large in scale. I lost sense of the character development and the completion of his story, if you will.

What did everyone else think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home