Monday, October 09, 2006

Why Do We Love Blood-Suckers?

Thought #1

I read both Peeps and Twilight about six months ago, and scheduled them as back-to-back selections intentionally to see if my theory would hold true. I talked to lots of people who really liked Twilight and read a lot of good reviews of the book, but noticed a pattern: everyone who recommended it to me was female. Personally, I thought it was pretty good, but not great. The romance didn't get me nearly as excited as it did the girls/women who read it. I enjoyed the creepy/gross Peeps much more, but found that those who loved Twilight the most couldn't get through Peeps because it was too much. So my theory is Peeps is a boy book and Twilight a girl book. Nick and David's reactions (see previous post) would validate that theory, but I'm wondering if anyone else wants to weigh in on the matter.

Thought #2

For hundreds of years now, vampires in their various manifestations have been the stars of countless tales, legends, books, and movies. Why? Sometimes they are clearly the bad guys and must be defeated, but they seem to have a cool factor that makes them appealing despite their parasitic ways. More often, in recent years, they are tragic heroes (anti-heroes?) whom we are supposed to side with. What is so cool about being undead, running from the sun, and surviving only at the expense of others? Thoughts . . . anyone . . . Bueller?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home